2014 ilANDing Laboratory Initiatives
We are pleased to announce that we have chosen 8 proposals to present workshops, community events, and expeditions as part of our 2014 iLANDing Laboratory Initiatives. These events will take place in the spring between February and July of 2014. Specific dates and a full calendar will be announced later.
Patch-Work-Walk-Picnic-Dance – Athena Kokoronis
- Take a walk and share a picnic with choreographer Athena Kokoronis and ecologist Leila Mougoui Bakhtiari to learn about trees in local parks. Participants will develop scores based on walks and combine them in an improvisatory quilt with others.
Expedition to White Island – Charles Dennis
- Join Charles Dennis on a canoe trip to Gerritsen Inlet in Marine Park, Brooklyn and explore the natural landscape. After group improvisation, take time to read, meditate, and journal.
Wayfaring – A Poetic Walk Through Public Space – E.J. McAdams, Douglas Manson, and Virginia Millington
- EJ McAdams, Douglas Manson and Virginia Millington will take us on a guided walk of a transect within the urban landscape, exploring poetry, pacing and environment.
Creating Habitat, Form & Function – Kathleen McCarthy
- Help rebuild habitat at the Bronx River Salt Marsh by planting wetlands and discussing threats to urban wildlife.
Navigating the Queens Plaza Transportation Hub Street Level without an SmartPhone or Other Prepared Map – Lise Brenner
- Complete a journey using landmarks, interaction with others, and intuition to guide you. Then work with others to propose new plans for easier navigation to City Council.
Repetition / Series, Dialogue / Transposition – Kate Cahill and Maggie Bennett
- Explore collaboration and the methodology of practice through a workshop of movement, writing, modeling, and construction.
Temporal Dislocation: Body Gates through Stars, Water, and Land – Moira Williams
- Join choreographer Jill Sigman, astrophysicist Tony Faddoul and multimedia artist Moria Williams for an exploration series for stargazing, a design charette, collaborative walks, and a potluck picnic panel.
Liminal Narratives: From Context to Text – Sonal Modi
- Investigate a commercial street and notice multiple narratives at each liminal junction. Develop a coherent narrative yourself using a variety of multi-media.
Leave a Reply